Providing quick, simple and accurate thickness measurements with minimal preparation
Cygnus Instruments has been manufacturing high quality ultrasonic equipment for over 35 years. During that time, Cygnus has built an enviable relationship with customers not only for the physical quality of the instruments it makes, but also for making the most reliable and accurate products too.
At the heart of Cygnus Instruments’ reputation for reliability and accuracy lies the Cygnus-pioneered “multiple echo technique”. By using three distinct return pulses of ultrasound, Cygnus thickness gauges will remove almost all possibility of error – and simultaneously read through coatings. Cygnus multiple echo gauges are also extremely simple to calibrate and use.
As one satisfied customer notes:
There are many in industry who are using Cygnus meters for more than 20 years. I myself have used their underwater thickness gauge along with regular and Intrinsically Safe UT meters from the early stages of career – and that goes back to more than 25 years for sure.
TechCorr, a global leader of inspection services, uses Cygnus Gauges for pipelines, tanks and vessel inspections. Our operators particularly love Cygnus for pipelines – as readings come quick and accurate.
Storage tanks can be susceptible to a high level of corrosion both from their contents and from the outside environment and the Cygnus Gauges have been designed specifically for Engineers who need to take quick and accurate thickness measurements.
The Cygnus 4+ and Cygnus 6+ is perfect for testing levels of corrosion on storage tanks such as fuel depot tanks, commercial and domestic LPG tanks, propane gas cylinders, air cylinders for divers, water storage tanks, effluent tanks and pressure vessels. These gauges have been rigorously tested to the demanding US MIL STD 810G standard: drops from height onto concrete, extreme vibrations and extreme temperatures – and is completely environmentally sealed to IP67.
While the Cygnus 4+ and Cygnus 6+ have been specifically designed to be easy to operate, the gauges boast an excellent array of key features including:
- Versatile measuring modes (multiple-echo, single-echo and echo-echo modes are all contained in just one unit)
- Deep-coat mode for measuring through coatings up to 20 mm thick
- A-scan display that helps to verify true back wall readings in difficult measuring applications
- Data logging that stores up to 500,000 readings (with their A-scans)
- Selectable auto-log feature
- The unique Measurement Stability Indicator (MSI™) which verifies stable and reliable readings
As a more advanced unit, Cygnus 6+ also has:
- Dual display – large front LCD display and a high durability end-mounted LCD display with grayscale setting for bright sunlight
- Live B-scan display with auto start / stop which shows a cross sectional view of a material
- Comprehensive data logging offers the ability to input templates making it perfect for taking measurements on symmetrical storage tanks which helps to ensure thickness readings are taken in a methodical manner
- Records can be easily transferred via gauge USB port or Bluetooth™ to Cyglink software where they can be exported to a CSV file or a PDF report
- Manual and automatic gain control
Both gauges have a large front colour LCD display that can be viewed in all lighting conditions, an easy to use keypad and an intuitive menu. The gauge body has been designed to be comfortable to hold and protects against bumps whilst offering maximum strength with its hard-internal shell.
In its offer, Cygnus also has the world’s only reliable and simple-to-use ATEX ultrasonic thickness gauge.
The Cygnus 1 Intrinsically Safe thickness gauge is certified intrinsically safe to ATEX Marking Group I & Group II; CSA Class 1 Group A, B, C & D Division 1; IECEx Ex ia IIC T2/T3/T6 Ga, Ex ia I Ma. This means that the unit is ideal for use in Zone 0 and Zone 1 hazardous areas – and requires no plant shutdown or hot work permit. In addition to oil & gas production facilities, the gauge has been approved for use in mines and is also useful in maintenance and inspections of LPG vessels and FPSOs.
The gauge body has been designed to be rugged, durable and shock-proof, and has been IPX5 rated, meaning that this heavy-duty sealed unit is highly dirt and dust resistant.
As with all Cygnus ultrasonic thickness gauges, the Cygnus 1 uses the Cygnus multiple-echo technique which provides the most accurate and reliable thickness measurements and can read through coatings and corrosion.
For more information about these and other Cygnus products, visit www.cygnus-instruments.com. Alternatively, call us on +44 (0) 1305 265533 or email email@example.com.
Quote PECM112019 for a 10% discount on a gauge.