New line of Ultrasonic Thickness Gauges Without Liquid Couplant
Innerspec has launched a new line of its EMAT and DCUT Ultrasonic Thickness Gauges which require no liquid couplant. The new gauges use non-contact Electro Magnetic Acoustic Transducer (EMAT) and Dry-Coupled Ultrasonic Testing (DCUT) technology to provide thickness measurement on materials ranging from 0.5mm to 1m (0.019” to 40”) with an accuracy of +/-2.54µm (+/-0.0001”). The non-contact EMAT ultrasonic technique permits one-side measurements at temperatures ranging from -30ºC to 750ºC (-22ºF-1382ºF), making it ideal for process control in harsh production environments. New compact instrumentation is housed in a small industrial enclosure located near the point of inspection and sends measurements wirelessly or via Ethernet to any device connected using a regular browser. The instrument can also be integrated with a robot, PLC, and other devices for automated decision-making based on measurement results.
DCUT techniques are used on non-metallic and highly-resistive components where EMAT does not work. DCUT takes advantage of Innerspec’s high power instrumentation and proprietary sensor technology to provide 100% dry inspection through a rubber layer.
The new line of EMAT and DCUT gauges are powered by our PRIMO SC instrument; a compact high-power UT instrument capable of generating very high voltages and long bursts of energy using a patent pending ultrasonic pulser-receiver. PRIMO SC runs on Innerspec Technologies Operating Platform (ITOP) using our NDT-Web™ User Interface.
Innerspec’s EMAT and DCUT gauges are used worldwide for a number of applications, including:
- Thickness measurement during extrusion processes.
- Measurement of thickness during tapering or swaging of tubes to determine cutting points.
- Measurement of eccentricity and ovality on stainless steel tubes as final quality control.
- Measurement of eccentricity on seamless carbon steel tubes at high temperatures (650ºC). The system also permits finding internal rifling caused by misalignment of the piercing tool.
- Thickness measurement at the entry and exit of an aluminum plate reversing mill to control the rate of rolling.
- Thickness measurement on carbon steel plates prior to shipping.
- Automated measurement of machined parts immediately after the machining process (integrated with the CNC tool).
- Measurement thickness of aluminum nacelle/cowlings used in aerospace engines during the production process.
- Measurement and internal defect detection on aluminum plates, ingots and logs to determine cutting points.
- Automated classification of parts (e.g. clutch plates, radiators) based on small thickness variations.
- Permanent monitoring of corrosion and erosion in industrial piping.
These systems can also be integrated with other sensors and instrumentation from Innerspec for automated detection of surface or internal flaws, or measurement of material properties.
- Non-contact EMAT sensors for ferromagnetic and non-ferromagnetic metals including carbon steel, aluminum, copper and brass.
- DCUT proprietary dry-coupled sensors for composites, plastics, and highly-resistive metals.
- Materials Inspected:
- Minimum thickness: 0.5mm (0.019”).
- Surface temperature: from -30ºC (-22ºF) to 750ºC (1382ºF)
- Measurement Accuracy and Lateral Resolution:
- Accuracy: (+/-2.5µm).
- Lateral Resolution (1-3mm depending on sensor type).
- Sensor Head Assembly:
- EMAT single or multiple channel arrays.
- DCUT touch probe or wheels for scanning applications.
- Designed for easy attachment to different mountings.
- PRIMO SC instrument with 1 to 8 channels.
- IP54 industrial enclosure that can be located up to 2m from point of inspection.
- 1 Channel Enclosure. Dimensions: 252mm L x 169mm W x 57mm T. Weight: 1.5Kg
- Accessible by any device connected to the instrument’s IP address via WiFi or Ethernet.
- Permits pulsing speeds up to 3000Hz for fast scanning applications.
- Innerspec Technologies Operating Platform (ITOP) with three components: Real Time Acquisition & Processing, Processing Link, and NDT-Web™ User Interface.
- Provides display and user controls customized for the application using proprietary NDT-Web™ real-time web technology.
- Broadcasts its own wireless signal for simple access by any device using a regular browser and IP address (no client software needed). Alternatively, users can connect to the equipment using an external video monitor or ethernet port.
- Permits easy customization of user controls and display without affecting the operation of the equipment.
- Includes built-in features to connect to NDT-Link™, Innerspec’s web portal for support, spares purchasing, and automated/remote operation and process control tools.